Friday, February 7, 2014

I bet you thought I was dead

Actually, you probably (maybe) don't know who the hell I am. But! if somehow you came over here from my old blog, you may have thought I had expired long ago into a puddle of wine and self pity.
Not so! (Very close, as I am good at both spilling wine on myself and rolling around in self-pity, but I failed to stay down. No, I got back up and decided to FIGHT!…after a year, year and a half, whatever. The point is, I am here now. Again.) After failing at the IVF that my husband A and I had saved up for (then lost all our savings for after he lost his job, then saved up for again) I really didn’t have any idea how to proceed. IVF was supposed to be (even though I knew the statistics) the golden ticket.
And after actually living the statistic and realizing that I was only a so-so responder who had a surprise low AMH, I just wasn’t willing to gamble again.

To make a long boring and plotless story short...we are now starting the process of adopting from foster care. We want to be parents.

-----So. That up there? That was the beginning of the post that I wrote yesterday. I was going to come back to writing today and finish it. I was going to write a few posts about what how we came to this conclusion, what we've done so far, the classes, the paperwork, the asking people to please write nice stuff about us and don't mention that time in college...

But I'm going to have to come back to that.

This morning I got a frantic call  - then text - then email from our caseworker, who said "I know you guys haven't even done your homestudy yet, but I want to email you information on these kids that just got sent to me. I think they'd be perfect for you guys."
If we decide we want to apply for them, she's willing to fast track our homestudy and get us approved. Like, soon. Like, I might have two kids next week. Maybe. I don't know. I don't know anything. Oh SHIT. I don't know ANYTHING.

 After waiting like 37 years to do IVF I felt like I (mostly) knew everything I needed to know going in.
This adopting thing? I'm still trying to figure that out. I might need another 7 or 12 years before I have read all the blogs and know what to expect.

Did I mention that once we decided to adopt that we rejected my mother's offer to pay for private infant adoption? And instead, go through the foster system? And unlike everyone in our classes, we're not interested in toddlers?

And that the two kids we might have soon are...teenagers?

Yup.

This should be exciting. 

10 comments:

  1. Well - nothing like a nice slow intro into things! Much luck - I hope this works out exactly as you want it to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw! Thats quite a transition! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you! And, wow that's a pretty exciting opportunity so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IO!!!! It's so good to hear from you. . .I've missed you. And, WOW. That's some news. Best of luck with this next phase, and whatever it brings. I know you guys will be awesome at it. So. . .catch us up now on what you guys are doing, will you? And promise that even if this particular situation doesn't pan out, you won't fall off the face of the earth again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!!!!!!!! So glad you didn't slip and fall and injure yourself horribly in a puddle of spilt wine and tears. :D

    You're the 3rd internet people I "know" who've landed with the perfect situation almost immediately once deciding to pursue adoption/foster. Other 2 are Leah from Single Infertile Female and Suzy (who was at Not A Fertile Myrtle but has moved on from there a couple times) - both of them ended up with infant or toddler/preschool ages though.

    Good luck, welcome back, and to echo Queenie - please don't fall off the face of the earth again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased to see you're still "out there". I've thought of you often and wondered how you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! You're back! But I knew you hadn't expired into a puddle of wine. :) So good to see you guys have a new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IO!!!! Mwah! Mwah! Mwah! So glad to hear from you! Wait until you see the puddle you melt into when you first hear, "I love you, mom."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am late to comment, but so glad to see a post from you! And so excited for your new plan.

    Can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete